At Hewitson & Harker, we have a team of experts that make our service stand out. Our experienced property team provide a competitively priced, personal and dedicated service. We offer fixed fees on all our property matters, and explain the costs involved upfront so there are no hidden surprises.
How much does it cost?
Conveyancer's fees and disbursements
- Legal fees starting at £500 plus VAT at 20%(starting rate on a sale up to £100,000)
- VAT payable £100 (starts at)
- Electronic money transfer fee £30 plus VAT (if needed)
- Office copies £6 plus vat
- Subtotal £642.60
Referral fee (if any)
- Amount of referral fee paid £50 (starts at)
Our fees cover all of the work* required to complete the sale of your home, including dealing with repayment of your mortgage (if any). Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as Land Registry fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. The disbursements that we anticipate will apply are set out above.
- 1. this is a standard transaction and that no unforeseen matters arise including for example (but not limited to) a defect in title which requires remedying prior to completion or the preparation of additional documents ancillary to the main transaction
- 2. this is a freehold sale
- 3. the transaction is concluded in a timely manner and no unforeseen complications arise
- 4. all parties to the transaction are co-operative and there is no unreasonable delay from third parties providing documentation
- 5. no indemnity policies are required. Additional disbursements may apply if such policies are required.
Additional costs if selling a leasehold residential propertyThere are additional costs payable which will be set out in the lease and it may be necessary to request that the landlord or managing agent replies to standard leasehold enquires (Form LPE), which we will not know about at the start of the transaction. Once we do know the sums due we will of course update you. An example of these additional costs are as follows:
- Fee payable to management company for completion of Leasehold Property
Additional costs payable
TimescalesThe average process takes 8-14 weeks, depending on a number of factors, such as:
- The number parties in the chain and their situation
- If your buyer needs a mortgage and any enquires the lenders may raise
- Whether there are any issues revealed by the search results
- Whether there are any issues revealed by the survey
- The amount of enquires raised by the buyer and the time it takes to collect the necessary information to answer the enquires
The above factors can delay a transaction and can sometime warrant an increase in our initial fee quote, but we will discuss any increase with you as soon as we become aware of any matter that affects our initial quote.
Stages of the processOn instructing us your file will be opened and we will attend to the following:
- We will take your initial instructions, give you advice, and once we receive the terms of the sale from the estate agent we will check these coincide with your instructions.
- Send you the initial paperwork for you to complete and return
- Request any deeds and copies of the title from the Land Registry
- Once we receive your completed forms we will check your replies before we send them to the buyers solicitor for their approval
- Prepare contract and send this to the buyer’s solicitors
- Once we receive enquires from the buyer’s solicitors we will deal with the replies and will approve the transfer deed
- Obtain your signature to the necessary documents
- Discuss and agree exchange and completion dates
- Request a redemption figure to re pay your mortgage
- Exchange and complete and repay any money to the lender and return any surplus to you
VAT payable is that in force at the time of instructing which at present is 20%.